When hiring a design build contractor, there are several important things that you should know:
- Experience and Qualifications: Look for a design build contractor who has experience in the type of project you want to undertake. Check their qualifications, licenses, certifications, and references to ensure that they are qualified to undertake the project.
- Communication: A good design-build contractor should be able to communicate effectively with you throughout the project. They should be able to understand your vision and preferences and keep you informed of progress and any changes.
- Design and Construction Process: A design build contractor should be able to explain their design and construction process in detail, including timelines, budgets, and potential obstacles. They should be able to show you examples of their previous work and provide a clear project plan. A Pre Construction Process that dives into design, budget planning, detailed design and permit administration is a critical step in any large project. If a contractor does not have some sort of pre-planning process, that could be a red flag for oversights to come.
- Budget and Cost Control: Discuss your budget with the contractor and ensure that they have a plan to control costs throughout the project. They should provide detailed cost estimates and be transparent about any potential additional costs or changes.
- Project Management: The contractor should have a solid project management plan in place, including clear timelines and milestones, regular progress updates, and a plan for managing any unforeseen issues that may arise.
- Contract and Legal Matters: Be sure to have a written contract that outlines all aspects of the project, including timelines, budgets, and any additional fees or changes. Ensure that the contract includes details of warranties and guarantees, and that it complies with all legal requirements.
- Customer Service: A good design build contractor should be responsive to your questions and concerns throughout the project, and should be committed to providing high-quality customer service. They should be willing to address any issues that arise and work with you to ensure your satisfaction.
Overall, when hiring a design build contractor, it’s important to do your research, ask questions, and choose a contractor who has the experience, qualifications, and communication skills to deliver a successful project.
Contact us today to get started on your next project.